Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Marshmallow Toes

Today we talked about all the rules of the classroom and center. When we line up to go out of our room, I always say, "Quiet paws, quiet jaws." Sometimes I let the kids pick what animal we are and tell them we have to sneak up on our lunch (a smaller animal) or it will get away. So we walk very quietly in the hall until we get outside, then we can "chase our lunch!" They love it. However, after reading a poem called Marshmallow Toes, I couldn't resist doing an art project to go with it. I found it here, but it's originally from here. I changed it a bit, of course. I like doing that. Just tweaking something to make it my own. First, here's the poem:
It's supposed to be walking on our marshmallow toes, but I didn't realize that until I had already printed it out. I think it still works. Now, instead of just using a generic footprint for the kids, I had them press their feet on ink pads! We only had small ink pads, so I had to do it one section at a time.

The kids sat on a little stool so it would be easier. Then they stepped on a piece of paper.
I used a wet washcloth to clean their feet. The ink is washable, so it came right off. The kids went to the art table to put the marshmallows on their toe prints.
Hmmm, now I see that drop of glue on the heel. I wish I had seen that earlier. I had placed another piece of paper on that part of the footprint and at the end of the day they were stuck together!
Here is a picture of the display in the hallway. We have skinny halls, so it was hard to get a good picture of the whole thing.


You like? I got real lucky because I had 4 right feet and 5 left feet, so I could display them as if they were walking. As I was cutting them out I got worried that they'd be all the same foot! WHEW!! So if you plan on doing this, you might want to figure that out ahead of time (how many of each foot you need). I just let the kids pick whatever foot they wanted!
Oh, and of course I let the kids eat a marshmallow after the project!

6 comments:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Those are so cute! I loved doing bulletin boards when I was teaching.

I am a new follower from Show and Share Saturday. If you have a chance, stop by www.messforless.net and say hi!

Thanks!

Betsy said...

Thanks, Vicky! I'm headed over to check out your blog now!

Unknown said...

So CUTE!!! I'll try that next year.

Betsy said...

Thanks, SweetP! They turned out really cute.

Ms. Williams' First Grade said...

This is a great activity! Did you have any issues with any critters paying the marshmallows a visit? I want to do this but am scared of attracting bugs.

Betsy said...

Ms. Williams' First Grade, I've never had a problem with bugs and my marshmallow crafts. I've used marshmallows many times for different projects and have never found a bug on even one of them!