Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pirate Ships

Ever see a child's face light up at the mention of one word? Today that word was pirate. For we didn't make any ol' boat for our transportation theme, we made a pirate ship!
That was last year's ship. This year I went a little smaller. I found a coloring page of a pirate ship and used that as my template. I traced the boats onto several different colors of construction paper. Then I just drew free-hand some sails in different sizes. This year I also decided to make a little flag.
The kids used markers to decorate the boat and sails. Then they wrote the first letter of their name on the flag. I poked two holes in each sail, one at the top and one at the bottom, using a scissors and then put them onto pipe cleaners. The pipe cleaners were taped to the back of the boat and the little flag was taped to the top of one of the pipe cleaners.
The kids couldn't get to the art table fast enough to get started on these.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

AARGH, they be fantastic! I will definitely have to try this with my little pirate!

Unknown said...

How fun! My kids would love doing this.