Sunday, November 24, 2013

Plump Turkeys {Class Display}

It took me awhile to come up with a good Thanksgiving class display. I knew I wanted the title to be "Gobble 'til you Wobble!" but I couldn't figure out a good turkey craft to go along with that. I eventually came up with the idea to take a picture of the kids with puffy cheeks, like their mouths were stuffed with food. Some kids chose just to smile, which was fine, too. For the project, I first had the kids marble paint on construction paper, using fall colors for the paint and the paper. When they were dry, I cut out feathers for our turkeys. With the template I had, I was able to get six feathers from each piece of paper. Everyone shared the feathers so that our turkeys could be more colorful. I cut out very simple turkey bodies from brown paper lunch sacks (mainly because I was low on brown construction paper). The kids glued a bunch of feathers to the back of their turkey.

Then they flipped it over and glued on the picture of their face with puffy cheeks. They glued on a wattle beneath their chin. To tie it into the gobble theme, I asked them what their favorite Thanksgiving food was and wrote that on the belly of the turkey. And at the last minute, I decided to draw in some wings, which made them look quite plump.
Cute, right? I know, the wattle looks like a necktie, but it's the best I could do. I chose not to add a beak and snood (the red thing that hangs down from the beak) because I thought it would cover up their faces too much. I hung them in the hallway with my "Gobble 'til you Wobble" title and a little sign that says, "My favorite food to eat on Thanksgiving is..."

What were some of the answers, you might ask? Well, there was a lot of turkey and pumpkin pie, but I also had a cheeseburger and bananas :o) My little plump turkeys are so adorable!